1. Pay Online or Pay by Phone using our Automated System Call 1-800-470-1529                                            We strive to work with our members in any way that we can, if you have experienced a financial hardship due to the current COVID-19 pandemic please call our office to discuss available options.                               

Pay Your Bill Online

Pay Your Bill

Report An Electric Outage

Report An
Electric Outage

Report Downed Power Lines

Report Downed
Power Lines

Start/Stop/Transfer Utilities Service Request

Start/Stop/Transfer Utilities
Service Request

Update Customer Information

Update Customer


Plugging in a lot of items may seem convenient, but overloading outlets or circuits strains your home's electrical system.

If you have more pwoer needs than your home is equipped for, consider having an electrician add more capacity.

Learn more HERE.

#SafeElectricity #HomeElectricalSafety

alabama 811

Know What's Below. Call Before You Dig.

It's Free & It's the Law

Before you begin any work, including construction, you should always check your local and state laws, regulations, and guidelines, as well as federal standards. The Code of Alabama requires all persons, including homeowners, responsible for digging, excavating, or blasting must provide at least two business days advance notice to the owners of any underground facilities in the area.

*The two working days notice does not include the day of the notification request.

Notification to Franklin Electric Cooperative can be made by calling 811 from anywhere in Alabama or 800-292-8525 from outside of the state of Alabama. Your request can also be made online by visiting the Homeowner Locate Request Portal.

You will be asked to provide necessary information pertaining to your project and location.

For more information on Alabama 811, visit their website www.al811.com

“The 811 Logo is a registered trademark of the Common Ground Alliance.”